Preparing for a Job Fair
Job Fairs can be a great opportunity for college students to open new doors in the job search. Here are some tips to help you prepare.
The week before:
- Check on-line and at Career Services for a list of participating companies and recruiters
- Ask your career adviser which companies have the best track record of hiring from your school
- Research participating companies
- If you have serious interest in a company, make contact with the recruiter in advance and try to schedule a short meeting on the day. It never hurts to show interest!
Stay conservative. Dress for an interview in business appropriate attire. Remember you will be walking around when you consider your shoes.
- Organize a folder with multiple copies of your resume
- A pad and pen
- Bring a small mirror for a last minute check as you run in from class
- Tissues or handkerchief
Practice your elevator pitch
Think about what you will say when you get to the table.
Research the job fair location, and develop a strategy based on how much time you have and how many companies you want to meet.
On the day of the Job Fair:
- Start with your highest priority companies
- As the day progresses, consider visiting companies with lower name recognition or fewer attendees. You may find some surprises!
- Get business cards, and contact information from everyone you speak with.
Within 24 hours after the Job Fair
Send a quick thank you email and a Linkedin request
Enjoy the opportunity to meet your future employer!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.