What Should I Wear to a Job Interview?
The answer used to be simple. Business attire simply included a suit & tie or skirt & blazer and heels or well-polished shoes. Today, the answer can be much more complicated! Here are some basics to help you get started!
Basics on grooming:
Good grooming and personal appearance is all part of the overall impression you send.
- During an active job search period, keep your hair trimmed and clean. Men, that includes the beard.
- Nails for men and women should be clean and short or manicured. If polished, keep colors neutral
- Tattoos: Tattoos are part of the uniform in certain industries and not desirable in others. For a first interview and until you get a sense of the office norms, try and minimize tattoo exposure.
Day of the interview:
Whether you come from home or get dressed on the way to an interview consider the following:
- Carry a small mirror and toothbrush, and tissue or handkerchief.
- Brush your teeth and check your overall appearance before entering the office.
- Especially if you are nervous, arrive a few minutes early so that you feel calm and bring your heart rate and body temperature to a stable level (I have interviewed candidates who were sweating through most of the interview – don’t let that be you!)
Careful attention to your appearance is part of the overall positive message you will send a recruiter or hiring manager.
Enjoy your job search and good luck! If you would like more information and help in the interview process, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.